Alexander F.13 Neo Flanger
Alien mojo meets military tech, circa 1958. The F.13 Neo is our take on space junk stolen from Area 51 and put into the service of rock 'n' roll. Equal parts science, art, weapon and instrument, the F.13 Neo generates interplanetary flange never heard in this galaxy or any other.
We decided to give our fantastic F.13 Flanger the full Neo treatment, and that means new features! The F.13 Neo adds additional controls in all modes, more patterns in Step mode, and the all-new Echo Flanger effect. Top it off with presets, expression, ramp morph and you've got a mean green flanging machine.
The sonic scientists at Alexander Pedals have been working overtime to cram the most pedal into the smallest box, and we now present the Neo Series! Each Neo Series pedal incorporates an advanced 32-bit microcontroller adding presets, expression, and MIDI capability.
The Neo Series pedals are small but mighty! Imagine having a single pedal on your board that can access up to 4 separate preset tones with a touch of your toe. Connect an expression pedal to "morph" between two distinct settings for each preset for dynamic real-time effects. Or hook up a simple footswitch to trigger a timed "ramp" between those expression settings. Expressive performance technology, right at your feet.
All Neo Series pedals feature a simple yet powerful preset functionality. Hold the bypass footswitch to move the pedal to the next available preset, and the pedal will reconfigure itself on the fly. All knob values and the effect mode settings are recalled, allowing you to set up to four unique tones. Want more presets? Simply connect a MIDI controller to the EXP port on the side of the Neo Series pedal and access up to 16 presets total.
To load a preset, hold the bypass footswitch down or send a MIDI program change from 0-15.
To save a preset, hold the Select button down and then hold the bypass footswitch. The pedal will save the current settings to the current preset.
Any changes you make to the pedal settings will be lost when switching to a new preset unless you save the current preset first, so be careful!
Expression and MIDI:
The EXP port on the left side of the pedal can function as an expression pedal, foot switch input, or a MIDI input.
- Expression Pedal: Set the expression pedal to the heel down position, then adjust the knobs to your preferred setting. Sweep the pedal to the toe position and set the knobs to a different setting. Now the F.13 Neo will allow you to seamlessly morph between the two settings!
- Foot Switch: Connect a momentary foot switch to the port with a standard patch cable. Set the knobs like you want, then tap the foot switch and set them again. Every time you tap the knob the F.13 Neo will sweep between your two knob settings at the speed you set in the configuration mode.
- MIDI: The Neo Series pedals can connect to a compatible MIDI controller to control all of the pedal functions plus access 12 extra presets, for a total of 16. The USB port may also be used as a MIDI interface to your computer or mobile device.
Controls in parentheses () are accessed by holding down the Select button and turning the indicated knob.
- Rate: Controls the rate of the low-frequency oscillator (LFO) for the flanger, from glacial to space invaders. Controls the input sensitivity in Dyna mode.
- (ALT1): Controls the sweep offset (manual) in Auto mode, the pattern select in Step mode, the envelope speed in Dyna mode, or the delay time in Echo mode.
- Depth: Controls the maximum LFO sweep in Auto, Step, and Echo modes. In Dynamic mode, this controls whether the flanger sweeps down (less than noon) or up (greater than noon) based on the input signal.
- (ALT2): Controls the delay repeats in Echo mode
- Mix: Controls the blend between the dry and flanged signal. Equal mix is at 12 o'clock.
- (Level): Controls the overall output level of the pedal, from -20dB to +10dB. Unity gain is near 1 o'clock.
- Regen: Adjusts the amount of flanged signal fed back into the modulation. Zero feedback is at noon, clockwise increases the positive feedback for a standard flanger sound. Twist this knob counter-clockwise for negative feedback and a unique "inside out" flange.
Select Button - tap to choose a new effect mode:
- Auto: Traditional flanging is found here. The LFO of the F.13 Neo is actually a "hypertriangular" waveform, so that the flanger spends more time in the interesting portions of the sweep. The ALT1 knob controls the sweep offset, sometimes referred to as "manual."
- Hint: Set the Rate control at zero for "filter matrix" style manual flanging. The Depth knob controls the flange position.
- Step: The flanger LFO is forced to "step" to distinct values for transforming robot sounds. The F.13 Neo has eight patterns, selected by the ALT1 control: Up, Down, Up+Down, Square, Whip, Two+Three, UpUpDnDn, and Random.
- Dyna: This one is kind of unusual, even for us! The flanger delay time is set by the volume of the input signal. The Rate knob adjusts the sensitivity, to allow for different pickups or effects before the F.13 Neo. The Depth knob controls which direction the flanger will sweep when it hears the input signal. The F.13 Neo now features an envelope speed control on the ALT1 knob. Set this to the fastest speed for a more excentrifugal experienz. Don't say we didn't warn you.
- Echo: This one is for all you radio friendly unit shifters out there looking to become the genius of love. We couple a fierce flanger with an exceptional echo for a very interesting take on time delay effects. The ALT1 and ALT2 knobs control the delay time and feedback of the echo, while the Rate, Depth, and Regen knobs control the flanger side. You can set either side to a very short delay for maximum comb filtering, or you can create spiraling soundscapes.
The F.13 Neo features a buffered bypass using a soft-touch footswitch. The dry signal path is digital, to maintain the precise time and phase alignment necessary for ultimate flanging. The bypass signal is 100% analog.
To configure, power on while holding the center Select button and release when the program LEDs start to flash.
Tap the Select button to choose Expression (upper LED green,) Foot Switch (upper LED orange,) or MIDI (upper LED red.)
Turn the Mix knob to select the Foot Switch Ramp speed - Lower LED green slow, lower LED orange medium, lower LED red fast.
Turn the Tweak knob to set the main LED brightness.
If you wish to assign the F.13 Neo's MIDI channel, simply send a program change message from your controller on the correct channel while the pedal is in configuration mode. Hold the Select button to save the pedal settings.
The F.13 Neo MIDI port requires the use of either a MIDI converter box such as the Disaster Area / Chase Bliss MIDIBox or a MIDI controller that supports 1/4" devices such as the Disaster Area Gen3 series. The F.13 Neo defaults to using MIDI Channel 1.