Martin Custom Shop D-14 VTS Sitka Spruce/Guatamalan Rosewood
A True Bluegrass Machine!
Based on a D-28 but with a Torrefied VTS Sitka Spruce top and Guatamalan Rosewood back and sides, this guitar has low end growl, volume, and definition to rival the best of the vintage D-28's.
The folks at the Martin Custom Shop like to periodically tap the raw back and side wood pieces to listen to how long they resonate and to see what sort of tones they have. Guatamalan Rosewood, according to the experts, sounds dangerously close to Brazilian Rosewood and seems to resonate in a even closer fashion than that of Indian Rosewood.
The new Martin Vintage Tone System (VTS) uses a unique recipe that is based on the historic torrefaction system. VTS acts much like a time machine in which Martin can target certain time periods and age the top/braces to that era. This focused method allows Martin's craftsmen and craftswomen to recreate not only the pleasing visual aesthetics of a vintage guitar, but also reproduce the special tones previously reserved for vintage instruments
- Construction: Dovetail Neck Joint
- Top Material: Sitka Spruce with VTS
- Bracing: Scalloped X Braces, Rear-Shifted
- Brace Material: 5/16" Adirondack Spruce
- Back and Sides: Solid Guatamalan Rosewood
- Top Inlay Material: Style 28 Black/Maple Wood inlays
- Back Inlay Material: .042" Black/Maple/Black Fiber
- Neck Shape: Performing Artist
- Neck Taper: Standard Taper
- Headstock Shape: Solid Square Taper
- Headplate Material: Guatamalan Rosewood
- Fingerboard Material: Ebony, Oiled but not Stained
- Neck Joins Body At: 14th Fret
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 3/4''
- Fingerboard Inlay: Abalone Foden Style
- Fingerboard Binding: None
- Finish Neck: Satin Lacquer
- Bridge Style: 1930 Style Belly with Drop-In Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2 3/16''
- Tuning Machines: Grover Chrome 102-CV Vintage Style
- Recommended Strings: SP LIFESPAN 92/8 PHOSPHOR BRONZE MEDIUM (MSP7200)
- Case: Deluxe Ply Hardshell